Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Conan is Really Awesome



Last Monday, the Tonight Show got a much needed change when Conan O'Brien took over for Jay Leno.

Not that I have anything against Jay Leno, but enough already. We get it! Your head bobbles and you have a big chin. I'm tired of a monologue aimed at the 40 and over crowd. The Tonight Show was and will soon be again on the cutting edge of late night. If I had to hear Kevin Eubanks go "ooh Jay" one more time after a corny bad economy joke I would be forced to shove bamboo into my own fingernails.

David Letterman probably looks back at not getting the Tonight Show after Johnny Carson left as the best thing that ever happened to him. Way to go Jay, NBC's in the gutter and it's all your fault... Okay, maybe not all his fault.

I'll move on from Jay bashing to Conan praising.




Late Night was the only reason I even tried to stay up late as a youngster. Conan is weird, awkward, and has better comedic timing then most Hollywood A-listers. No offense to Jimmy Fallon, who is doing a rather good job, but who gives a damn about The Roots. I'll take Max Weinberg everyday of the week.

The obvious sexual tension between Conan, Max, and Labamba is quite honestly one of the best running jokes I've ever witnessed. Not only did Max and the boys come along for the ride, but so did Conan's former and current side kick Andy Richter. Andy Richter is a funny dude. Even his failed TV show "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" was hilarious. Unfortunately he's not on the couch next to the desk anymore, but Andy behind a podium is better than no Andy at all.



June 1, 2009 will be a night I will never forget. I was waiting for the day for nearly 4 years when Jay named Conan as heir to the Tonight Show throne. I got home from work just in time, and I was in constant communication with a friend and fellow Conan lover. It was nothing less than epic. Not only did Conan not disappoint but the fact that Will Ferrell and Pearl Jam were the guests made it even better.

If your not watching the Tonight Show you should be asking yourself "what the hell is wrong with me?" Then after you answer the question you should tune in.

-Rimmel

2 comments:

  1. Conan's guests have been really good so far too. They had Kareem Abdul Jabbar on the other day, although that was more like a cameo.

    ReplyDelete