Thursday, April 8, 2010

America's True Pastime







Fans cheer on the Pirates at Forbes Field from the Calthedral of Learning.


Since I was young, the two sports my Dad really taught me to play were Baseball and Football. Being from Pittsburgh, it's kinda hard not be weened on these two sports due to the incredible history they have here. Baseball is especially meaningful to me because of how much time I spent playing it in my youth. It is easily the most accessible and approachable sport you can pick up as a child, and it usually has a profound effect on those that play it. It was my Dad's favorite sport when he was a boy, so maybe it runs in my family.



Growing up with my Dad, who was also quite the football genius, I was constantly hearing his takes on both sports, and I grew up worshiping the names of local and national legends. Names like Mickey Mantle, Nolan Ryan, Roberto Clemente, and Art Shamsky seemed like family by the time I started playing. Learning of these men and their accomplishments, both on and off the diamond, was something I look back on fondly.


Three Rivers Stadium - Home of the Pirates and Steelers for 30 years
Baseball was also the sport I saw the most of as a kid. Tickets for Pittsburgh Pirate games were not that expensive and easy to get a hold of back then, mostly because the team was mediocre. My dad made sure to expose me and my brother and sister to as many games as possible while we were young. A lot of kids I grew up with experienced the same thing. My Dad was famous for teaching us the game as we watched it. All three of us learned the nuances and tactics of the game as well as enjoying ballpark food and festivities. I remember many nights down at Three Rivers Stadium in the 90's (pictured to the right), enjoying time with family and friends all while watching great games.



From left to right: James Landreneau, My Brother Steve, Myself, Dr. Rodney Landreaneau, and Josh Landreneau. We all saw a game together at Three Rivers. My Dad was behind the camera.
I think it is important to note that my experience with Baseball was purely game play oriented. I never really got into the business or politics of the sport, which unfortunately have become more important to the game in this day and age than actual teamwork or skill. To this day I don't pay much attention to this dark part of the game as it is. Needless to say, it has resulted in me watching far less baseball than when I was younger... I simply can't seem to understand how it transformed from such an enjoyable sport to what it now seems to be. I am not really a sports genius, obsessed with statistics or trivia, and I certainty to care for sports gossip, so in many ways today's baseball seems awful foreign to me. I believe that Major League Baseball is a broken organization today, and I am saddened that there isn't much I can do about that.



The Aliquippa Fighting Quips - 1967 Little League World Series


My Dad playing baseball for Aliquippa High School
My love for Baseball has nothing to do with my athletic ability, either. When I played, I was average, at best. Whatever skill I have comes from my genes, though. My Dad was a fantastic athlete when he was younger. He was one of the privileged few who played in the Little League World Series, an honor I am extremely envious of. He went on to play ball in Highschool and College, seeing great personal and team success all the while.

I saw some success, I suppose. I participated in many successful teams in our community league, and even managed to blast a ball over the left field fence once. Sure, it was my only home run, but I'll never forget it. Some of the teams I was on were good enough to win a few championships as well, but I would be lying if I said that I was a major factor in any of them. Still, I enjoyed the experience and grew a lot from it.

My brother Steve also saw a lot of success, sometimes right beside me. We were fortunate enough to only be two years apart in age, allowing us to play together every other year as we progressed up the level of play. He was always somewhat more skilled than I, and to this day has an incredible knowledge of the game.

My Sister, Regina, playing her final softball game
Perhaps the best ballplayer in my family is my sister, Regina. She played in the girl's league, and was extremely talented. She saw more success than my brother or myself combined, and I never enjoyed watching the game being played more than when I went to see her games. Softball was less competitive, sure, but they sure put on a good show.

Despite the shortcomings of baseball, I still consider myself a die hard fan. I know a lot of people that aren't, unfortunately, but I understand why. Pittsburgh, like a lot of other small-market baseball towns, does not put forward a very good team. This is mostly due to the off balance nature of baseball business (again, I hate this about baseball). Still, growing up listening to the glory of yesteryear from my Dad has instilled a sense of pride within me, as I'm sure others can relate to. Back then, every team had gods playing the bases, and the stories I still hear make me wish for the same glory today. While I still have not experienced this, I believe in what could be if the system finds a way to correct itself.

So, if you are a baseball naysayer, and I know that many of you are, don't judge those who still enjoy the sport. I may not be equipped to convince you of its merits, but know that for a lot of people it is still something that brings a sense of pride and happiness. Honestly, I feel bad for those of you not sold on Baseball. You are missing out on America's true past-time, something I believe everyone should experience.

Each year around this time, I get really high spirited about the start of Baseball season, and I know I share that with the rest of my family and many of my friends. Despite my yearly disappointment with the Pirates, I love the sport and will always cheer on my home team. The most accessible sport in America will always be an integral part of our cultural identity, and I urge you all to dismiss what you see in baseball that revolves around the business instead of the game. Perhaps someone that is involved with the MLB will someday see what has become of the sport and embrace the classic mentality of pride and talent instead of dollars and cents, and things may change. For now, I plan on enjoying a cold-one, a hot dog, and a night at the ballpark as much as possible, and I hope you do too. It is the true American bliss.


2 comments:

  1. Great post Jimmy :)

    I went to tons of Pirates games with my Dad too whenever I was little and they actually won a few times here and there. It's too bad we never got to play on the CTAA teams together, but man it was fun whenever I got to play your team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article. It is sad at how messed up baseball is... but at least its not basketball or hockey

    ReplyDelete